An ancient art form in which ornamental plants, shrubs and trees are grown into their miniature versions are known as bonsai plants. Even though produced in their mini versions, these kinds of plants are still in their natural form. They are mostly grown in containers or small pots. The pruning technique is very carefully followed in the making of turning various ornamental plants into bonsai plants. Here are a few interesting bonsai facts that you would be astonished to give a read to. Each of these exciting facts is sure to amaze you and expand your knowledge about nurturing a bonsai. If you are a plant lover, then read on to find out more.
- The smallest Bonsai tree is said to fit in your palm. Acer Momiji is the name of the most miniature bonsai which has made it to Guinness Book of World Records for its incredibly small size.
- A centuries-old pine bonsai plant is the most expensive Bonsai that has been sold until the date at the International Bonsai Convention in Takamatsu. Although the real value of Bonsai cannot be possibly measured in terms of money as traditionally they are not meant for selling.
- The cultivation of Bonsai started around 200 years ago! And the traces of this art form have been found in the ancient Chinese dynasties. However, this method was first popularised in China, but tradition and aesthetics were a part of Japanese invention and development.
- The very foundation of these bonsai plants lies in Zen Buddhism. It is said to be associated with virtues like patience, the calmness of mind, attaining balance and finding harmony in life, acceptance, authenticity, respect, and love for the living nature, awareness. As per the preaching of Zen Buddhism, Bonsai symbolises the harmony correspondence with the living nature.
- Bonsai plants had its largest exhibition wherein almost 2649 trees were displayed at the International Bonsai Convention and Exposition in Avadhoota Data Peetham. It was held in India under the support and guidance of His Holiness Sri Sri Sri Ganapathy Sachchidananda Swamiji.
- One of the bonsai plants which went viral was hobbit styled Bonsai after the blockbuster movie Lord of the rings gained major popularity.
- Not all bonsai plants look attractive from the very beginning. It takes many different phases for a bonsai plant to turn into a majestic bonsai plant. You need to care and look after the bonsai plant properly to look like the ones made available at a nursery.
- Bonsai trees are often mistaken n to be the dwarf trees. Bonsais are made into the miniature version not that they genetically happen to be mini in their size. However, natural dwarfing does exist but so not in the case of bonsais.
- An old 50-year-old pine tree bonsai was shot into the stratosphere over 3000 meters away. It was attached to a carbon rigid fibre frame further connected to a helium balloon by Makoto Azuma.
So, these were some of the exciting facts that we bet indeed did shook you.